here is the link of video, tutor needs to watch this video of around 8 mins and then answer the following question.
1. Who developed the term Orientalism and what other scholar(s) was he inspired by?
2. What is the main argument of Orientalism?
3. How do paintings by Orientalist artists like Gérôme contribute to their works being seen as “truthful” depictions of the “Orient” (despite this not being the case)?
4. Since we should not read Orientalist painting as reflective of the realities of life in the Middle East and North Africa at the time, then what instead can we learn or deduce from such images?
5. What aspects of The Snake Charmer make clear that it is not a truthful representation of Cairo or Istanbul?
Contextualizing the Work
1. Choose another Orientalist painting, compare it to The Snake Charmer, and describe what about its content and style signal its identification as an “Orientalist” artwork.
2. Is Orientalism still relevant today? If you were going to write a book about contemporary Orientalism in visual culture, what image would you pick for the cover? Explain what key visual you would choose and how it serves as an example of contemporary (or neo-) Oreintalism